I came across an amazing blog post written by Ming Qian on what inspired her to write, and she created a blog nostalgia tag, where she and another blogger answered 9 questions about what inspired them to write. It was so much fun to read, I decided to do one myself!
I truly haven’t thought of my first blog post, or my first blog site in so long, and as I was reading this post. It made me start to reminisce on those times when I first got into blogging and comparing them to where I’ve gotten now and how I’ve evolved. I believe it made me that much prouder of what I’ve accomplished with my writing (because I definitely was a rookie back then LOL!)
Blogging Nostalgia Tag Questions
- Introduce yourself and share three fun facts about you.
- My name is Whitney, but I go by Whit C. on my blog. 3 facts about me are that I’m a social worker by day, I’m a published author (you can find my work here if you’re interested 😉), and
- What was your first blog platform, and do you still remember your blog name?
- I think my very first blog platform might’ve been Blogger, lol. And I cannot remember my blog name 😂. It was so long ago, but I feel like if I tried really hard I feel like I might be able to find it on
- Why did you start blogging?
- I’ve always loved writing and journaling. I’ve also found myself to be a bit opinionated, but sometimes never found an outlet to express myself freely and with no restriction. Blogging was a way for me to do that. When I blog, I feel like I can touch people in a way that can help them. I’ve always thought, “well, maybe someone is going through the same thing I am; but neither one of us is willing to write about it. So I’ll make the first move.”
- What is your favorite part about blogging?
- The unapologetic freedom. I feel like I can write whatever I want, whenever and however I feel. Because it’s my blog people can either read it, or pass right on by if it doesn’t apply to them. But at the end of the day, it’s mine. No one can take my blog from me and that’s what I love the most about it.
- What do you blog about, and why did you choose those topics? Is your blog related to your field of study? Why or why not?
- I blog about several different things; but mostly, I guess you could say I blog about…life. I separate them into different topics; self-care, parenting, relationships, career. I’m not sure what niche to throw that in; but I guess if it could be considered a type of Lifestyle category, we could call it that. 🙂
- If you could pick any blog niche without considering web traffic or monetization potential, what would it be?
- It would probably be mental health and self-care. I could use my blog as my personal journal and just write and write and write all day and not care about SEO, traffic, monetization, ads. It would just be a site where I could write all day about my personal struggles or issues with mental health or what I experience and how we as a community or society could overcome it.
- Share a fun blogging memory with us.
- I think my best memory is probably when I hit 1,000 views on my blog for the first time. It was January 2020. That was my best month blogging. It was also the start of the year when I started doing better with ads, SEO, keywords and traffic. Last year was a great year with views, followers and engagement overall and I think that start to the year is what helped boost my confidence.
- I think another memory is the fact that this particular post continues to get traffic, and it is going on 6 years old! Lol!!! (if you’re a natural haired girl and you need advice on a good gel, I definitely recommend you checking out the post!)
- If you could start over, what would you do differently?
- I would probably spend more time up front learning more about ads and start out of the gate with learning about SEO and doing more engagement. I would’ve probably been a lot further along in my follower count than I am now. I would also try to create more of a brand imprint with my blog early on. but it is still something I want to do and will work on with hopes to relaunch myself and my blog as a full on brand this year.
- Finally, is there a blogger who inspires you? Name the first blogger you think of and your favorite three blog posts from him or her. Do not overthink this question, we are not playing favorites here!
- I wouldn’t say there is just one blogger that inspires me. If I’m being honest, anyone who has the courage to get into blogging inspires me because it’s not easy. Creatives and people with creative energy inspire me because it’s not easy to dedicate the time and effort into something you’re passionate about. It’s grueling and takes a lot of discipline (blogging is indeed a skill that I’m constantly learning). So I admire and am constantly looking and reading a lot of different blogs to learn and grow because we can all learn from one another and encourage one another to be great.
I’m not going to specifically tag any number of bloggers, but I think this was an awesome idea to reminisce on my very, very humble beginnings as a blogger. It also made me really appreciate how far I’ve come and realize that I have a ton to be proud of, and a lot of times I don’t give myself enough credit!