About two years ago, my best friend showed me a video, that showed you the difference between being an introvert and an extrovert. Before watching this video, I didn’t really think I fell into the introvert category because I could be pretty social when I wanted to be. I figured I was pretty much just an awkward bird who liked to read and write and everyone else wasn’t quite like me, lol.
Well, funny thing was, I am still a bit awkward, but after watching my video, I realized that I’m not just solely awkward, but I’m definitely an introvert (with minimal extroverted tendencies). I had always called myself a little introverted, but honestly never knew the true definition. I mostly just went off of assumed definitions and what society deemed an introvert (which mainly was that I was anti-social, socially awkward person). After watching that video I began to understand the actual meaning of what it means to be an introvert, and it did relate to how I am on a daily basis. It also brought clarity to why I am sooo different compared to my family and friends, lol. It wasn’t that I was anti-social or awkard in social settings, it’s moreso how I respond, interact and balance my energy when I’m being social.
Sometimes this can prove to be difficult for people to understand. I’m definitely not the most outgoing and social person which can appear to be an anti social tendency. I can say that 99% of the time, it’s not that I don’t want to be socIal, it’s just that I have to build the energy back up to be that way 🙂 .
So, for the sake of a little clarity, I will list out a few of my top introvert characteristics to help people better understand me!
- I am that self-sufficient introvert – Most times, if I want something done, I am not going to wait for someone else to do it. It will more than likely be done or started before the person who would have done it even starts, lol.
- I am an easy person to please – I’ve never been a person who likes a lot of fuss or attention over them. I am very easy to please, I don’t mind or need much to make me happy. If you know me, then you know how I am and what will make me happy.
- I’m an observant introvert – if I’m not talking, I’m watching. I’m an avid people watcher, so if I’m sitting somewhere looking like I’m staring off into space, most of the time I’m watching the people.
- I love very thought provoking conversations – Sometimes, I’m not very good a small talk; however, if you ask me a question that will require a very intuitive and intellectual response, I will be more than happy to engage. I get very anxious because I am not good at creating small talk or filling up open air in a conversation. I’m actually quite horrible at it, LMAO…but I can manage to survive a meaningful conversation and would actually prefer it.
- Generally enjoy spending time alone – This is possibly the number 1 favorite thing about myself; I LOVE to be alone. If you haven’t heard from me in a couple hours or a day or so; it’s not that I am ghosting, I have just been doing my own thing and probably didn’t even realize it. Most of my family and friends understand that I am not the biggest communicator, and if I’ve fallen off the grid for a while, it’s probably because I’m doing something that requires me to be alone. 🙂
- After a lot of interaction, I NEED to isolate ourselves – This ties into spending time alone. Isolation is really my happy place, especially when I’ve gone through a difficult interaction with someone or just been overly social (or at least what I would consider overly social). Negativity, conflict, confrontation, and even general happy things sometimes will drain me physically and mentally. The best thing for me is to recluse to my little corner and get myself centered and ready to tackle the world again. Even if I have been out for a night or two, expect me to go right into hibernation mode and rest up until the next time I have a big event to commit to.
If you can understand these things, then you have officially learned a little bit more about me today!
4 Comments Add yours
wow, this so me, going through your list, i just thought i was reading a list about myself. loved your post.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m VERY happy with my own company, something which my family still don’t really understand, so I really enjoyed reading this post because I recognised a lot of my traits in here too and I realise it means I’m not the only one!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hello fellow-introvert! I discovered I was an introvert about 10 years ago, which helped me be on my way to self-awareness and self-discovery. It’s like my life finally made sense. Now I no longer hate myself for being too shy or awkward or however else people label me. I am perfectly happy sitting in with my own thoughts and my own company, even with a husband. Luckily I married an introvert as well. Enjoyed this post, thank you!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you for the support!!! And it does feel awesome to discover your true self and be happy with it; no matter what everyone else says ☺️